Thursday, September 5, 2013

Album of the Day #3

Today's album is:
Quadrophenia by The Who

        Every classic rock band has a progressive rock album: this is The Who's.  This album, released in 1973 (the greatest year in music),  was a huge departure from the previous two albums, Tommy, a light
hearted rock opera; and the failed Lifehouse rock opera, which became Who's Next, which, although it had some dense songs, still kept the joking theme of the Who's music seen in earlier albums, exemplified by "Bucket-T" on A Quick One, "Tommy's Holiday Camp" on Tommy, and "My Wife" on Who's Next.  This album, instead, has all serious songs, and instead of discussing some fantastic story, it discusses the life of a mod during the mod/ rocker riots of the 1950's and 1960's.  It goes deep into the problems of the mod culture- the sacrifice of necessities for clothes, loss of innocence, amphetamine pill usage, and the false sense of achievement in this culture.  Without the extra instrumentation, the guitar, bass, drums and voice would make this album solid, but the addition of synthesizer and piano from Daltry and Townsend ("Helpless Dancer", "Dirty Jobs", etc.), and the horn parts played by Entwistle ("The Rock", "5:15"), make this album come alive, making it, in my opinion, the greatest of The Who's impressive list of albums.  The guitar solos in "Quadrophenia," and "5:15" should definately be given a listen. 
"I've had enough of dance halls,
I've had enough of pills,
I've had enough of street fights,
I've seen my share of kills,
I'm finnished with the fashions, 
and acting like I'm fought,
I'm born with pain and passion,
I've had enough of trying to love."
                          -Daltry and Townsend, "I've Had Enough"

No comments:

Post a Comment